Friday, June 6, 2014

Interview with Pearl Blackthorn

CU: Today I am joined by author Pearl Blackthorn. As well as her series of paranormal mystery novels, Grave Matters, Pearl is also renowned for her investigative research as part of the DarkSide project, a group of paranormal researchers based in Manchester UK. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me today Pearl.

PB: You're most welcome.

CU: First of all I'd like to talk a little about your background with DarkSide, for our readers who are not quite so familiar with your work. When did you first become involved with the project?

PB: I first met the founder J.J. Benson when I was a teenager. He started Darkside magazine in 1999. When I first started writing for J.J. the magazine covered historical locations throughout the UK that are connected to paranormal legends. Over the years the project has expanded to a wider range of paranormal subjects and my colleague Harry Raymond and I frequently visit locations and investigate the claims ourselves.

CU: Your interest in the paranormal is a big part of your life, and this themes runs through your fiction and your non-fiction. Have you ever had paranormal experiences yourself?

PB: I did have an unusual experience when I was investigating a haunting at the site of an ancient monastery in Wales, but I think that was rather more of a product of my imagination. Although I do have a fascination for folklore and paranormal legends, I also have a healthy skepticism. Usually when we embark on an investigation there is a quite rational explanation for the phenomena, sometimes it just takes a while to figure it out. However, Harry keeps telling me that one day I'm going to have an experience that I can’t explain and then I'll have to totally re-think my skepticism. I'll keep you posted on that one.

CU: Yes, please do. Didn't you and Harry recently take a trip to New Orleans to investigate a voodoo curse?

PB: That's right. The curse was connected to a very dear friend of Harry, who had recently passed away. We got to visit The Blind Pig, one of the oldest standing speakeasies in Louisiana, and we met some met some very interesting characters along the way.

CU: And did you solve the mystery of the curse?

PB: We did, though it wasn't at all what we had expected. But if your readers want to find out about the whole investigation they can read about it at DarkSide.

CU: Do you have any investigations ongoing right now?

PB: Actually, Harry and I met with J.J. this morning. He has been communicating with the owner of the Rook Inn, which is located in Cheshire. Apparently the Inn was recently renovated and since the work has been completed the owners are being terrorized by strange wailing sounds throughout the night. We are planning to head down there for a few days next week and see what we find.

CU: Well we will look forward to hearing about that. Readers will be able to find a full report on the Blackthorn Blog?

PB: Absolutely.

CU: Pearl Blackthorn, thank you very much for joining me today. Good luck to you and the DarkSide team.


PB: It’s been a pleasure. Thank you. 

1 comment: